Friday, April 16, 2010

Branding

Branding...
Its always such a big event at our place. Everyone is there to help out or just watch to see what's going on.
This morning when they said it was Branding day, I decided I wasn't gonna join this year. After dinner though, I could not hold myself back, I had to go down there. Jordan, my older brother came home to get me, and a few minutes later there I was!
All the kids were there, a few girls, a couple moms, and of course all the guys. Instantly three cameras were dropped into my hands and I was told to photograph every little detain (nothing new, since I do it every year).
After awhile of some closeups of this and that, I decided I was going to brand too. I went over to my Uncle David and said, "I wanna help!" He gave me a hot iron with 'P' on it, and I did a couple calves. I figured that part wasn't as cruel as taking away the prarie oysters :P
There are various jobs at branding. Injecting the cows and calves with whatever, tagging, taking away the horns....
Year after year the guys always wrestle, there are usually no ropes involved. Two guys would just sneak up behind a calf, grab it, and hold it down until it was time to let go again.
This year however they roped the calves, t was much easier and not as tiring as usual. A bunch of english neighbors came to help us out. They do it every year, it almost seems like tradition :)
After awhile of branding I realized I had burned a hole into my dress, it was a new one by the way. It was then I needed another job, well I didn`t need it I wanted it. So I grabbed a tagger and started tagging.
I couldn`t help but notice as my sister bypassed me a couple times with the royal delicasy that everyone was so crazy about. Yes, I`m talking about the prarie oysters. I`ve eaten a few too in my lifetime, and as much as I don`t want to admit it, they acually taste good :P
Branding is a very fun and tiring day, so after supper everyone gathers at the ranch for a feast of steaks, hamburgers, salads, the royal delicasy and stuff. I didn`t go however because I realized I had been away from my auntie too long whom I was supposed to be taking care of, since she just had a knee opertion :P
So despite the hole in my dress my very muddy keen shoes (from chasing calves and flooring the gator through mudding lakes) it was one of the best brandings ever!

6 comments:

  1. Are you sharing any of the "delicacy" with me?? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Paul, its gonna be a side dish for the wonderful meal we are making you when you come. I even put some in the freezer, just for you! :) :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. uuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!....don't do any for me....thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and a heaping bowl for lorraine too! I heard somewhere they are healthy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're very high in iron, so anyone lacking, EAT UP!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is to bad i could not make it home for branding this year i kinda miss doing that and as far as prarie oysters i think it is the groosest thing a guy could eat

    ReplyDelete